Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Vegetarianism is delicious!

I've been toying with the idea of becoming a vegetarian for a while now. Over the past two years I have had the pleasure of living with a vegetarian and a vegan - one in a college apartment and one on an RV. I replaced milk with soy milk during my sophomore year of college and cut red meat and pork out of my diet shortly after. Recently I have "become a vegetarian" on a trial basis twice, only to return to my meat eating ways. A few days ago I decided that it's time for me to make the decision to be a vegetarian and stick with it. For moral reasons. For health reasons. There are just too many positive reasons for me to become a vegetarian that right now it's not an option for me to do anything else.

So, in honor of my decision, I set out to bake a vegetarian cookie that would be both delicious and animal friendly. I found an amazing recipe on ChooseVeg.com that I will definitely make again! It was easy to make and the cookies came out GREAT. I didn't have egg replacer, but I found a great video about egg substitutes on YouTube. I opted for the flax seed and water combination for my batch of cookies.


INGREDIENTS:
  • 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup Earth Balance*, softened (although Earth Balance is the best, you may use any other non-dairy butter/margarine)
  • 3/4 cup granulated [white] sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Egg Replacer for 2 eggs**
  • 2 cups (12-ounce package) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

*Earth Balance can be found at Whole Foods, Lakeshore Natural Foods, and other natural health food stores.

**ENER-G Egg Replacer is a brand-name powder mixture of vegetable starches that simulates eggs in baking. It can be used in recipes calling for unbeaten eggs, egg whites beaten stiff, and egg yolks. It can be found at Whole Foods as well as natural health food stores.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl.

2. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl.

3. Add egg replacer one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in flour mixture.

4. Stir in chips and nuts.

5. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

6. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

7. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

If you make them, let me know or if you have any tips on becoming a vegetarian, please let me know!!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Yeah, lets see if it sticks this time... Ms. FOOD SNOB!

Sarah said...

Update your blog lady!!!