Thursday, January 22, 2009

Painting

My parents have always been understanding of my need to express myself - no matter how odd the outcome. One place that has always reflected my desire to be creative is my bedroom. My room has undergone a number or changes (micro-evolutions, if you will ). From blue sponge painted walls and a star speckled ceiling to the likes of Scooby Doo and The Powerpuff Girls watching me sleep, my room has been many different things and served as a mirror to my interests and personality at the time. Now that I'm 23 years old and officially a part of adulthood, I feel like my room should reflect my age. During my freshmen year of college I decided to paint my room six different colors -SIX! I don't know what I was thinking. I'm sure that I would have grown tired of it sooner had I been home more than I was at school, but for the most part my rainbow of a room didn't bother me... until this past summer. I was settling in to life at home and one day decided that I just couldn't take it any longer. All the different colors were making me crazy!

You know how people always say that the state of your bedroom reflects the state or your mind? I was frightened to know what I was thinking about when I decided upon all those colors! After much thought and Google image research, I decided to pick warms colors for my "new" room. In keeping with my somewhat wild sense of design, I decided to cut back from six colors to three - a deep red, a muted orange, and an off-white. I started painting towards the middle of the summer and am just finishing now! It's taken so long because I have been, well, sort of lazy... and working. Now that I am basking in the glow of unemployment/part-time work it seems like the perfect time to finish what I started. Here's to the ever-evolving room reflecting the ever-evolving mind!

No comments: